The Protocol Section of Home Department is responsible for the protocol arrangements in connection with the visit of dignitaries, VVIPs and State Guests. The Protocol Section is headed by two Joint Secretaries and assisted by two Under Secretaries, two Office Superintendents and other staff, including one Assistant Engineer (Mechanical), and one Junior Engineer (Mechanical) who looks after the maintenance of all the protocol and other vehicles belonging to the Home Department.
The main responsibilities of Protocol Section are as under:
- Making arrangement for State Guests, VVIPs and visiting State/National/International dignitaries.
- Making arrangements for conducting Swearing-in-Ceremony of Governor, Hon'ble Chief Minister, Council of Ministers, Chief Justice and Judges of Sikkim High Court.
- Liaison with other sister States, Ministries in the Central Government, Defense Authorities, other Central Government Agencies and the District Administration.
- Booking of rooms in the New Sikkim House, Sewa Bhawan and DKK Bhawan in New Delhi, Sikkim House in Guwahati, Circuit House and Chintan Bhawan at Gangtok.
- Issuance/release of Emergency quota of Railway tickets from NJP to other important destinations.
- Issue of Route Permit for Government vehicle proceeding outside the State and within the State via Rongpo/Melli Chek Post
- Observance of State Warrant of Precedence in State/National Functions.
- Maintenance of vehicles attached to Council of Ministers and Protocol vehicles of Home Department.
- Preparation of mailing list of VIP, Secretaries/HoDs and Officers of the Government of Sikkim/Central Government.
- Issuance of Identity Cards to Government Employees.
- Organization/Conduction of National Functions like Republic Day, Independence Day, State day, Gandhi Jayanti etc. and other State functions.
- Household Affairs of State Circuit House, Chintan Bhawan and Sikkim House at Guwahati.
- Reallocation of vehicle surrendered to the Department by the officers availing conveyance allowance facilities.
- Allotment of double digit vehicle registration numbers.